Saturday 3 September 2022
Together… through treatment and beyond
The ‘Make a Move!’ Event is an event hosted by Bristol Children’s Hospital and funded by The Grand Appeal. It is for all cancer and benign haematology patients aged 16 years or under on the day of the event.
Volunteers must be working within the paediatric cancer or benign haematology service, within the Southwest. Please note: Volunteers must be 18 years and over and staff only.
Volunteer registration form
If you wish to help at the event, you will need to complete the online volunteer registration form. This needs to be done prior to the event.
Hours of work
The event runs from 10.00 to 16.00, with doors opening to families at 09.30. Therefore staff will be required from 08:30 to 17.00 and will be required to work all or part of as follows:
All day: 08.30 to 17.00
AM only: 08.30 to 13.00
PM only: 12.30 to 17.00
You will need to sign in and out on the day at the registration desk.
Roles and responsibilities
- Welcoming participants at the registration desk.
- Running the medal table when participants leave.
- Helping direct participants around the venue.
- Assisting the coaches by organising the groups ready for their activity.
- Helping with general enquiries.
- Supporting families who would like to connect with other families.
- Helping to keep the venue clean and tidy during the event.
- You must not offer any sporting advice; any queries must be directed to the coaches running each event.
- Although you are very kindly volunteering, the expectation is that we are there as professionals, so normal professional standards of behaviour and boundaries will be expected.
If you are working a whole day, you are welcome to take up to a one-hour lunch break and two 15-minute tea breaks.
If you are working a 4.5-hour shift, you are welcome to take one 15-minute tea break.
- There is a café on-site, or you are welcome to bring a packed lunch.
- Tea, coffee, milk, squash, water and biscuits will be provided free of charge for volunteers.
- Where possible, please bring a refillable water bottle.
- A secure space to store your bag will be provided, but please only bring what you need for the day.
- Toilets are available on-site.
What to wear
- We will provide you with a ‘Make a Move!’ Event t-shirt for you to wear on the day. Please indicate your size on your volunteer registration form.
- Sportswear or similar/comfortable trousers or knee-length shorts – no jeans.
- The venue requires all visitors to wear non-marking shoes, so please wear trainers or similar footwear and ensure they are suitable for a day on your feet!
Health and safety
There will be designated first aiders, and further information will be given at the briefing on the day.
You are entitled to claim expenses for bus fares, parking and mileage from your home or workplace to the event. Please email email@example.com post event for a travel expenses form.
If you have any questions or need to contact us, please use the details below: